Download the OpenVPN Installation Package
Run the Installer
- Navigate to the directory where you saved the OpenVPN installation file.
- Right-click the file and select Run as administrator.
- Allow the installer to make changes to your computer by clicking Yes in the displayed popup.
Start the Installation
In the OpenVPN Setup welcome screen, click Next to proceed.
Accept the Licence Agreement
You must agree to the following license agreement. Read it to the end and click I Agree.
Select All Components
- Make sure, all components are selected for installation.
- Click Next to go to further.
Set the Installation Location
- Choose the installation directory for OpenVPN. It is safe to leave the default location untouched. However, you can install the software to another directory.
- Click Install to continue.
- Enter your Windows administrator password if you are asked to.
Install TAP-Windows Provider V9 Network Adapter
To confirm the TAP-Windows Provider V9 Network adapter installation, click Install in the displayed popup.
Proceed to the Last Screen
Once the installation process has been completed, click Next.
Complete the Installation
Your installation is now complete. Check the Launch OpenVPN GUI option and click Finish.
Obtain the Configuration and Certificate Files
Go to the Configuration Generator https://proxy.sh/config and obtain the
Define OpenVPN Configuration
- Place the
.crt files to
C:/Program Files/OpenVPN/Config/. Note: If you have installed OpenVPN to a different directory, make sure, you save the files to the
/Config/ folder in the proper location.
- While copying the files, you may be asked to confirm the access to the destination folder. In the displayed popup, click Continue to grant the administrative access.
How to Run OpenVPN?
OpenVPN GUI should always be run with a full administrator access token.
- The OpenVPN installer has placed the OpenVPN GUI icon on your desktop. So, to launch the application, right-click the icon and select Run as administrator.
- Then confirm your wish to run the application by clicking Yes in the displayed popup.
Tip: You can mark the application to always run with administrator privileges. Refer to Windows documentation for instructions.
How to Connect? — Step 1
In the system tray, there is a new icon showing a computer and a lock. The grey color indicates you are not connected. Right-click the icon and select Connect.
How to Connect? — Step 2
The OpenVPN connection window is shown. A dialog requesting a username and a password pops up. Enter your proxy.sh VPN credentials and click OK.
You Are Connected
The connection is established successfully, and the OpenVPN window closes.
Notice, the taskbar icon is green when you are protected.
Cannot find your OS or setup? Check more tutorials