OpenVPN for Mac OS with Tunnelblick
Obtain the Configuration and Certificate Files
Go to the VPN Configuration Generator https://proxy.sh/config and download the
Download Tunnelblick and Copy It to Applications
- Download the latest Tunnelblick release by using this link: http://code.google.com/p/tunnelblick.
- Open the disk image and drag the Tunnelblick icon to your Applications folder.
- Confirm your request to move the application, enter the administrator's password if prompted.
Now run Tunnelblick by clicking on its icon in the Applications folder.
Confirm Opening Tunnelblick
- Confirm your request to open the application.
- Enter the administrator's password and click OK.
- The “Installation Succeeded” popup is displayed. Click Launch.
Import Tunnelblick Configuration
In the displayed configuration dialog, click I have configuration files.
Select OpenVPN Configuration
Click OpenVPN Configuration(s) to import the recently downloaded configuration and certificate files.
Open Private Configurations Folder
- Access the Tunnelblick Configuration folder by clicking the Open Private Configurations Folder button in the dialog window.
- A message pops up informing you, that the private Configuration folder is open. Keep this message open.
Import the Configuration and Certificate
Copy the downloaded configuration files
*.ovpn and the
.crt file from your Downloads folder into Configurations.
Complete Work with the Configurations Folder
Now get back to the “Private Configuration Folder” is Open dialog and click Done.
You will be asked to check for updates automatically. Uncheck Include anonymous system profile, then click Check Automatically.
You need to enter your admin credentials once more. This time for changing the ownership/permissions of the configuration file. Enter the administrator's password and click OK.
How to Connect?
Tunnelblick has placed an icon in the menu bar. Click on it and select Connect Proxy.sh.
Enter Your Credentials
- Enter your VPN username and password to the displayed form. Notice: The password is case sensitive.
- If you wish to save your credentials, check Save in Keychain.
- Click OK.
You Are Connected
In the top right corner, three black translucent status windows appear, one after the other, displaying the connection state.
After having successfully connected, the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar changes to an illuminated one and the status window disappears.
That's it, you are now secure!
Cannot find your OS or setup? Check more tutorials